Photo by Wanda
These Asian Asparagus Wraps, which only take about 15 minutes to prepare, are an easy way to impress the guests! The key is to have very flavorful asparagus spears before wrapping them. In fact, they should taste a bit too flavorful, since wrapping them in the phyllo will dilute their flavor a bit.
Overly Flavorful Asparagus:
12 thin (or 6 fat) asparagus spears, trimmed
2 teaspoons toasted (dark) sesame oil
1 tablespoon each: fresh lime juice and tamari, shoyu, or soy sauce
6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
3 large (or 6 small)* sheets phyllo dough, thawed
Non-hydrogenated margarine (or toasted sesame oil) for brushing**
2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds (preferably black)
1. Place the asparagus, sesame oil, lime juice, tamari, and garlic in a medium-large skillet. Sauté over medium heat, stirring often, just until the asparagus is bright green and barely tender. You will want them to be slightly underdone, as they will cook a little more in the oven. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Gently remove three large (or six small)* sheets of phyllo and set them aside. Immediately roll up the remaining phyllo dough in plastic. Place in another airtight plastic bag and put it back in the fridge.
3. If you are using three large sheets of phyllo, cut them in half width-wise to make six sheets.
4. Place one sheet of phyllo on a clean dry surface and brush it with margarine or toasted sesame oil (or spray it with oil**). Place two thin asparagus spears (or one fatty) at the bottom of the phyllo sheet, making sure to scrape some of the garlic and flavorings from the pan onto the asparagus. Roll the phyllo up and over the asparagus. Continue rolling up until you have a phyllo cigar.
5. Place it on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Brush the top with more margarine or toasted sesame oil (or spray with oil). Sprinkle with some raw sesame seeds. Repeat this process with the remaining asparagus and phyllo.
6. Bake until golden brown, about 5-10 minutes. Be careful not to over-brown, as phyllo cooks very quickly. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 asparagus wraps in 30 minutes or under!
*If your 1 lb. package of phyllo dough contains twenty large sheets of phyllo, you’ll need to use three sheets. However, if your 1 lb. package of phyllo contains forty smaller sheets, you’ll need six sheets.
**You may instead spray the phyllo with oil, as it’s quicker and lower in fat. Of course, the more time-consuming approach of brushing the phyllo yields a more intense, rich flavor.
For more information, visit www.radianthealth-innerwealth.com